Thursday, June 28, 2012

Home Sweet Home

After having a few days to settle in and shake off the jet lag, I figured it was time to sit down and write one last post.

My flights home were a bit more eventful than I had hoped for. First, we were an hour late getting to the airport because of the traffic for the Royal Highland Show. Thankfully, our flight was delayed an hour so we had some time to check in and grab some lunch. Gael, Jordan, Hilary and I were all on the same flight to Newark. We had a few pounds left to spend and what better way to spend them then at the bar?! We toasted to our trip, and to our last legal drink for a few months. Our flight got into Newark late, and Jordan and I had to catch a flight to Chicago that was fast approaching. Passport control, baggage reclaim, customs, baggage recheck, airtran, security. All in about 30 minutes. Yeah, that was "fun". We were under the impression that our flight was on time, so we were the two weird people you see running through the airport in fear of missing a flight. However, upon getting to our gate it was made aware by a very rude employee that "the plane isn't even boarding yet". Whatever. We made it, and that's what matters. The rest of the day went much smoother, thank goodness, and I arrived in Springfield more jet-lagged than I thought possible. Ew.

Sunday was rough, I pretty much threw myself into a normal schedule and forced myself to stay awake for a full 12 hours. I only made it till around 9 o'clock at night (3 am Scotland time). Monday and Tuesday proved to be much better, with trips to the lake to help. The heat, however, has not helped at all. Coming from a month of 50-60 degree weather, to temperatures in the 100's is crazy. I never thought I would say it, but I miss the rainy Scotland weather!

I seriously had the time of my life on this trip, and am so thankful for the opportunity I was given. I now officially have the "travel bug", and cannot see myself staying put for too much longer! I made some life-long friends on this trip, and cannot wait to see them again. When you throw 16 college students together, you don't expect them to get along as well as we did. We truly became a family, bickering included. Until you travel abroad you will never quite understand the bond you make with the people you go with. I will never forget my experiences in Scotland, and the people I went with.

Where to next?

No comments:

Post a Comment